The lifestyle factor of weight loss

Lifestyle plays a large role in any weight loss and weight management goal; your daily lifestyle choices have a large impact on your health and happiness and need to be consistent. Here a few tips and tricks to keep you on track:

  • Follow the 80:20 rule - be good 80% of the time and enjoy the other 20%!

  • Don’t eat in front of the television, sit at the dining room table

  • Never eat until you are full, and wait 20 minutes before getting seconds, chances are you will feel full by then

  • Never eat within 2 hours of going to bed, and go to bed a little hungry

  • Take dinner leftovers to work as lunch for the next few days

  • Consider exercise as much a part of your day as brushing your teeth

  • Decide on what exercise you prefer and when you are most likely to do it and incorporate it into your day. For example, keep your gym bag in the boot of your car and go to the gym after work, or if you are like me and will spend your 8 hour work day coming up with all the excuses in the world as to why you cannot possibly go to the gym after work, set your alarm for 5am and get your work in before work

  • Write lists, be specific, reflect on your health, lifestyle, fitness and weight goals (how you want to see your health improve, how you want your lifestyle to change, how you want your fitness to improve, What are your weight loss goals? Be mindful, however, that when you write out your weight loss goals, that lean muscle tissue weighs more than fat does, so even though the scales may not reflect your efforts, your favourite pair of jeans will!)

  • Be prepared, write yourself a schedule, include travel time, this allows improved productivity and the amount of time you have for exercise, food preparation, rest and relaxation

  • Plan meals to include similar ingredients to save money when shopping, make a shopping list, allow yourself one treat a week, and remove temptations from the household

  • Look at ways to increase exercise into your daily life

  • Adapt social gatherings to focus on something other than food

  • Use smaller plates and cups. Over the years, our plates have become larger, the serving sizes in restaurants have also grown larger. Use salad plates at home, and when eating out, ask the waitress about the serving size of a meal, request to have half of it put in a container before it even comes to the table, and take the rest home with you. Or, you can share a meal, order an entree sized meal.

 

 Warmest regards,

                             Penelope Espinoza Hallett, Naturopath

                             BHsc (C.M.) AdvDip. Nat/N.D, Dip. Aroma, Dip. C.H., Cert. R.M., Cert. R.M., Cert. SBM, mNHAA